Monday, April 28, 2008

After-Class Reading Assignment #1

In response to the first reading I agree with what the article is saying. I think that most college students are very worried about getting out and finding a job after college, not thinking they have the required experience for the job they are applying to. I also know some friends who have not had to work and fear they have nothing to put on a resume but I agree with the article that just being in college and facing the many challenges are good qualities in themselves.
After reading the second article, I realize that cover letters are very important. In the past when I’ve had to do a resume for a class and include a cover letter, I really didn’t know where to begin or what to say in the cover letter.
I didn’t really like the third article because it states some things to do or not to do that go against what I’ve been taught in school. For instance, it said the one page resume really doesn’t apply, meaning if you have more than one page of information than by all means write more. I thought that future employers would only want to read one page at most. I do agree however with putting your GPA if it makes you look good and that it is okay to include volunteer work.
I liked the fourth article because it tells you things that potential employers might find annoying. I don’t think there are any reasons to include hobbies and interests that don’t pertain to the job or putting information that is “out dated” such as jobs or hobbies you had in high school.

No comments: